– A lovely cake with lots of flavor and a texture like it had been made with flour. It is very light and you can customize it, adding your favorite nuts and fruits. The recipe is suitable for a ring mold but is also quite amazing as muffins.
Just one important thing.. You have to be very careful when adding ingredients to the stiff egg whites and the eggs should not be cold from the beginning.
- 6 large eggs (or 7 medium)
- 120 g coconut flower sugar
- 200 g almond flour
- peel of 1 organic lemon
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp psyllium fibers
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp pure vanilla (no sugar)
- 1.5 tsp baking soda or sodium bicarbonate
- 1 pinch of salt
- 40 g of chestnut flour
- 400 g pumpkin puree
- 1-2 handful of dried fruit and/or nuts
In my version, I used raisins and pitted cherries in my version and it tastes heavenly.
Grease the mold thoroughly with ghee or oil. Mix the dry ingredients – almonds, lemon peel, cinnamon, psyllium, cloves , cardamom, allspice, vanilla, baking soda and salt together in a bowl. Beat egg whites until very stiff and add the sugar a little at a time. Add an egg one by one and turn the mass gently. Then add the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, a little at a time and toss gently. Finally add chestnut flour and the pumpkin puree followed by the dried fruit and nuts. Bake at 170c. for one hour (or 30 minutes if you make muffins). After 40 minutes in the oven, cover cake to prevent it from getting burnt. When the cake is done, turn it out onto a rack to let it cool down. Sprinkle with ground coconut flour and cinnamon and garnish with nuts and berries.
The cake stays moist for days and tastes better a day after it is baked.